Return the favor

Friday, December 20, 2013

week #41 Monday, Dec. 16, 2013

Hey family,

Yet another week has passed. This week we've seen a surplus of miracles, seen a lot change and learned a lot of lessons that will help me in the future I'm sure. So this week we didn't have a lot of lessons, there's been a lot of finding opportunities though. We've tried a lot of different things from visiting Less active's and asking for referrals, going up and down the streets, trying to find former, teaching English class. And I've learned that sometimes working hard will still seem to have no results, but that doesn't mean we've failed. I'll get to that in a second. 

So I'm English Leader, and I'm the first English Speaking Foreigner that has been stationed in Guiren for over a year. So Our English class tripled in numbers this week. (pretty good growth rate). And they are all super fun, we had a blast of an English class. I love teaching English here. 

Then Saturday, we had a crazy day. Elder Shang had to go do 2 interviews throughout the day in the east district of Tainan. So our day's plans where all over the place. What we ended up doing was going on exchanges with the zone Leaders from 12-3:00ish and we taught lessons while Elder Shang did the first interview. We saw some great miracles, met a guy outside the dentist and did a short lesson with him and he's super willing to meet with us again. Then in the evening, we had to go back to Dongqu (east district) for another interview. I called our investigators and former investigators during that time. And I ran into somebody who knows the Bean Family. He was talking to the Zone Leaders about how when he went on a mission he was there during the 18 months time, and I was like.....Wait If he came to Taiwan during that time, he might know Uncle Jack. So I asked The Zone Leader to ask him if he knew a Jack Bean (because I was on the phone) so he went and asked (they're in the room next door). And he was like "Of course I do!" Then he came over, turns out they didn't know each other from missions, but he was at your guys high school. He's a year in between Jack and Donald, but he knew all the Beans, we talked a bit, it was super crazy, small world. Then I talked to Elder Edwards (BYU Football team kicker, super cool guy) He's the zone leader over here and he gave me some great advice. He told me about when he got in the area, nothing was happening, most people considered the area a black hole, nothing could really happen. But he came (not attributing faith to himself) but had lots of faith, worked hard, and now that area is a gold mine, has people lining up to be baptized every week for the next month or two. I was so motivated after that. He told me "Every area is golden, it just needs missionaries who have faith in Jesus Christ." Since that chat, I've been so motivated to go and find, work as hard as I can, and help people who are looking find the gospel. 

Then Sunday gave us a bucket full of miracles, we had 6 investigators at church, 2 were eternal investigators, 2 were ones we invited, and 2 were referrals, out of no where, and they were all golden. I was in shock, I was amazed, I couldn't understand why it happened but for some reason God blessed us with such amazing miracles. And because of it, I was able to see, it doesn't matter what we think our success is. If we work hard, have faith that God will allow us to see miracles, He will be there. I know it's true, He is with us every step of the way. 

This week I've definitely learned the Christ like attributes, I've spent quite a few hours on my knees, begging with my Savior.  It's amazing what can change in a week, where you think life is going great, you're an awesome  missionary, you've mastered an area, to the contrast, you have no idea how to do anything on your own, you need the Savior, you need prayer, you need to depend on him, and trust him, and believe that he is there, he hasn't set you to fail. I know my Savior lives, I know he loves me, he is protecting me, whatever I say that may cause worry, don't let it cause worry, I'm the Lord's servant, he's sent me here to succeed, to learn, and to become a better person. I know this is true, I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Love you all, until next week

Elder Brandon Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment